FORMS AND GLAZES: THE MAGIC OF CRYSTALLINE
I propose a workshop beginning with throwing the pieces:
double wall, diferent textures, long necks..... and finishing with
the màgic of Crystalline to finish the pieces .
On the first days of the workshop participants will be guided in
throwing tecniques and at the last 4 days essential attention will
be paid on glaze formulation and firing schedules.
By José M. Mariscal
DAY 1 AND 2
What we will work?
In the morning time, demonstration on how to make different types
of pieces. And at the afternoon time to put into practice the
knowledge learned with help and guidance from the teacher who will
help you at the individual level. Textures for tension and other types
of texture tecniques. Throw a piece in 2 parts, learning how to throw
narrow and long necks, Throwing double wall pieces. There will also
be demonstrations of how to give different finishes with textures on
Textures by tension.
Textures based on slips.
Textures based on organic material.
Who is it for?
Students who have already taken a first contact with the wheel in a
basic way although it does not require to have dedicated many hours
but if you know the basic principles of throwing.
Bisque the pieces thrown on the first days.
Crystalline Glaze Workshop
By José M. Mariscal
This workshop consists in a practical part and with the formulation
and application of some basic glazes to continue with a discussion
and a technical part to understand the process and to be able to
create each one his own Crystalline glazes
• Formulation of the glaze
• application on the pieces
• how to apply alumina to place the pedestals
• firing schedules. First Firing
• Theory of crystallizations. POWER POINT PRESENTATION.
• How are they formed? At what temperatures?
• Electric or gaz firing (oxidation), reduction firing in gaz kiln and post
reduction firings. Explanation.
• Explanation of the different frits, how they work, which are the best
for crystalline glazes.
• Tips and points to keep in mind to get the best results.
• Typical errors. That it never has to be done.
Mix more glazes for the second firing. Apply the glaze in the pieces
• Remove from the kiln / Separate the pieces from the pedestal.
• Study of the results. From the first firing.
Second Firing .
Treatments with acids to modify the result from the pieces for the
Post Reduction firing in the raku Kiln